Welcome to False Bay Sports Shooting Club
The Range is set in the historic Glencairn Quarry which has long since reverted back to nature, presenting beautiful, sheer cliff faces of over 200 metres in height, looking out to a seascape which encompasses the entire False Bay which is arguably the most idyllic and picturesque setting and largest back-stop any shooting range could hope for!
The Quarry was opened in 1898 (possibly earlier) adjacent to Main Road and the railway line. The quarried stone was loaded onto a barge and transported across the bay to Simon’s Town harbour. The quarry was operated by the Divisional Council and possibly closed during the First World War, between 1914 and 1918. Thereafter Strong and Moore re-equipped the workings and were still operating the quarry when it was finally closed in May 1978 due to environmental concerns and appreciation of the tourist potential of the area. Much of the rock that was taken from the Quarry was used in the building of the Naval Dockyard in Simon’s Town.
The Club leases the Quarry from Cape Town City Council. Click here for Map
- Chairperson: Craig – 083 444 9455
- Membership Secretary: Jacqui – 078 976 3686
- Clay Target Shooting: Charles – 082 431 9256
- Firearm Service Providers:
- Shooting Instruction – 083 444 9455
- False Bay Firearm Training Academy – 082 774 0063
Entrance Fees, Open Times and Restrictions:
Everyone pays the Range/Entrance fee.
- R50.00 for non-members/visitors
- R20.00 for members.
Members must show their membership cards – without the membership card the fee due is the non-member/Visitor’s fee.
Range Open times:
- Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 10am till 4pm;
- Saturdays 10am till 5pm; Sundays 10am till 1pm
Last entry registration is half an hour before closing time – no exceptions.
Strict adherence to all aspects of the current law regarding Firearms is applied. No shooting is allowed unless supervised by an authorized Range officer.
The Quarry is part of a Nature Reserve and ALL wildlife is protected. There will be serious consequences for ANY person found disturbing or causing problems with ANY of the wildlife on the range.
The club facilities, props and structures are purchased and maintained at considerable time and expense. There will be serious consequences for ANY person found damaging or removing club property without authorization.
All firearms must be holstered or bagged when not on the firing line or safety area.
There is no discrimination to race, creed or gender” – we are “OPEN TO ALL”
The Club caters for Hand-gun, Rifle & Shotgun
- Range 1 – Visitors Range (Handgun only)
- Range 2 – NPA/ISSF turning target range (Handgun – also Air-rifle & Rimfire)
- Range 3 – General Range
- Range 5 – General Range
- SADPA Classifier range (Handgun & Shotgun)
- Tactical range – SADPA & IPSC usage
- Training Range for service provider usage
- 50 metre general range (Main Range)
- 125 metre dedicated rifle range
- Black-powder rifle area
- Large clay range with several machines and towers
- Trap, Sporting & Skeet